There has never been a more exciting time to join us at the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology. Backed by our ten-year FEIT 2025 Strategic Plan we are transforming the future of engineering and IT at the University of Melbourne.
Established in 2019, the Ingenium PhD scholarship program will help develop a cohort of future Australian research leaders by providing our Ingenium Scholars with access to professional training and mentorship.
The Ingenium scholarship comprises a generous funding package of:
- A stipend (indexed annually) for up to 4 years. In 2024, the stipend is $37,000;
- A further top-up scholarship of $15,000 per candidature year (for up to 4 years) pro rata; and
- For professional development and travel opportunities, an additional annual fund of $10,000.
The scholarship includes relocation costs, ie $2000 for interstate and $3000 for overseas relocations, and leave of absence entitlements.
The scholarship is open to newly commencing Australian and NZ citizens and Australian permanent residents in all research areas of engineering and IT commencing in 2023.
Please note if you have not completed your degree at the time of application, you will be expected to complete your studies and provide your transcript of final results to be considered for the Ingenium Scholarship Program.
Applications for the scholarship and supporting documents need to be submitted in addition to your PhD (DR-PHILEIT) online application. The Ingenium application documents MUST be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadlines listed below.
To apply for the Ingenium scholarship you will need:
- A letter from your prospective supervisor outlining their views on your potential to be an ambassador for the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology.
- Your personal statement which addresses the following criteria
- Ability to deliver results
- Demonstrated evidence of leadership. Explain how you have organised, mobilised or inspired others in any area of your life
- Demonstrated evidence of developing an initiative and a related outcome
- Strength of purpose
- Demonstrated evidence of commitment through extra-curricular activities
- Demonstrated evidence of creativity and innovation in your approach to answering questions or solving problems
- Demonstrated evidence of a strong desire to contribute to society
- A statement demonstrating ambassadorial potential for our Faculty
- Why you would be an excellent ambassador for FEIT
How to apply
Submit your application for the DR-PHILEIT in the online application system.
Email your supporting documents for the Ingenium Scholarship to the FEIT graduate research team at email@example.com.
For commencement in the first half of 2024, applications will open 1 July 2023 to 17 November 2023
For commencement in the second half of 2024, applications will open 1 January 2024 to 30 June 2024
Applications submitted after the due date will not be considered for the Ingenium Scholarship.
All applications will be considered by a panel consisting of the Associate Dean (Graduate Research) and Graduate Research Coordinators from the departments/schools within the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology.
Whilst your academic record and score and support from your potential supervisor is the hurdle for short-listing, how you address the five selection criteria will get you into the next stage.
The next stage will be an interview - see dates listed below.
Outcomes of interviews and awards of the Ingenium scholarship will be notified shortly thereafter.
For unsuccessful Ingenium Scholarship applicants, you will still be considered for the usual available scholarship offer, unless you’ve notified you wish to only be considered for the Ingenium Scholarship.
|Intake Period||Application Closing Date||Interviews||Outcomes Notified by|
|January-June 2024||November 17th 2023||December 4th-8th 2023||December 22nd 2023|
|July-December 2024||June 30th 2024||July 15-19th 2024||July 30th 2024|
Please contact the FEIT Graduate Research Admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions concerning the application process of the Ingenium Scholarship.