Established by Dr Elizabeth Alexander AO in memory of her brother Ian Alexander, this scholarship provides funding to Master of Engineering students to support overseas travel experiences in internships, exchange or research projects.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to:
- Be a domestic student (Australian citizen or permanent resident)
- Be enrolled in the Master of Engineering
- Intend to undertake one of the following approved international travel experiences* via the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology:
- Semester-long exchange
- Summer research project
- Submit a personal statement addressing your study/career aspirations and the proposed impact of the scholarship.
*Remote or virtual experiences which do not require actual travel do not qualify.
One scholarship is available and is valued at $5,000.
Applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Academic performance to date
- The merit of the proposed experience in relation to your study/career aspirations
- The proposed use and impact of the scholarship funds
- Your ambassadorial potential as a representative of the Faculty
- A letter of support from a member of faculty.
Preference will be given to students studying the discipline of Mechanical Engineering.
In the light of current international travel restrictions, any offer of the scholarship is conditional upon the proposed travel being possible, and funds will not be released unless it is confirmed that travel can go ahead to the proposed destination.
Should the nominated recipient be unable to proceed with their travel plans, the selection panel reserves the right to offer the scholarship to an alternative candidate.
This scholarship is offered in two rounds throughout the year:
- In August/September for students planning to undertake a Summer or Semester 1 experience the following year
- In November/December for students planning to undertake a Semester 2 experience the following year
In the August/September round we are not accepting applications related to international internships. However, in future rounds as border movements become more certain, students undertaking international internships will also be eligible to apply.
Applications will open in November/December 2021.