John Norman Mann graduated with a Bachelor of Civil Engineering in 1948 from the University of Melbourne. He worked as an Engineer throughout Victoria, including with the State Water Supply Commission and in state government. John Norman Mann passed away in 2017.
John Norman Mann was himself a scholarship student and felt that his time at the University of Melbourne enabled the rich and full life that he and his wife Bette enjoyed. He wanted that same opportunity to be available for students in similar situations to his.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to:
- Be an Australian citizen
- Be in your first year (2021 start or mid-year intake) of one of the following courses/disciplines within the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT):
- Master of Engineering (Civil, Civil with Business, Environmental or Structural)
- Master of Environmental Engineering
- Master of Engineering Structures
- Have a weighted average mark of at least H1 (80%)
- Be in financial need.
Up to three scholarships are available, each valued at $20,000, to be paid in semester payments of $5,000.
Applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Academic merit
- Demonstrated financial need.
The two criteria will be considered equally.
Note that the donor has specified a preference towards students in civil and environmental engineering disciplines.
2021 applications are now closed.