Building access and ID cards

Where does your student ID card allows you to go? Ensure you have the right access to Engineering spaces at the University of Melbourne.

Building access

Your student card is automatically programmed to give you access to the University’s main libraries, some study spaces and computer labs:

Graduate students are also automatically granted access to the Graduate Centre in the 1888 building. That includes after-hours access.

Engineering access

Except for the Postgraduate Lounge, you won’t need to swipe your card to access spaces during normal working hours: Monday–Friday, 7am–7pm.

Your access will be activated by the end of week two – or around a week after the census date, if you enrolled late.

What spaces in Engineering do I have access to?

As well as all of the above, postgraduate students have access to the following spaces Monday-Sunday from 7am–1am:

Building nameBuilding NumberRooms
Block D Building 176 Access to the Postgraduate Lounge is via Grattan Street or the Engineering Courtyard
Block B Building 175 Access to the Postgraduate PC lab, room 102
Old Metallurgy Building 166 Access to the study lounges, Design Studios 9 & 10 and 4 syndicate rooms

Building access questions and answers

How do I get after-hours access to an Engineering space?

If you successfully enrolled prior to the first day of semester, access to Engineering spaces is programmed directly to your student card from the end of the first week of semester. If you enrolled after the first day of semester your card will be programmed by the end of week two.

How do I get access to a specific lab or room?

If you require specialty access (such as to the DnB lab, the Software Eng space and other research labs for capstone) your subject coordinator will arrange this to occur automatically after week three, so you don’t need to request access.

How do I get access to a specific lab or room in another Faculty?

If you need access to a specific lab or room that is in another Faculty, your lecturer will let you know. You can organise access through the other Faculty or department.

I am a graduate researcher and need access to a specific lab/room.

Contact your supervisor – they will be able to help you organise access.

Student ID cards

You will need to obtain a new card if you have changed your name, or if your card is lost, stolen, damaged or faulty.

Please refer to ASK unimelb to find out how.