Single subject study

Undertake a single subject as an introduction to engineering or IT, or supplement your current expertise with an advanced subject.

First, use the University Handbook to find an Engineering or IT subject you wish to study: University Handbook.

The Melbourne School of Engineering offers two options for studying a single subject:

  1. Community Access Program (CAP): For any community member
  2. Cross-Institutional Study: For students from other Australian tertiary institutions

Community Access Program (CAP)

Through the Community Access Program, the Melbourne School of Engineering is able to offer study opportunities to anyone interested in engineering-related or IT-related subjects.

CAP provides an excellent opportunity if you:

  • are curious about new technologies
  • have wanted to study but have had to postpone it for one reason or another
  • want to advance your career
  • want to enhance your academic record
  • want to explore an area of interest before making a commitment to more intensive study.

Students in the Community Access Program attend the same classes as degree students, at the Parkville campus, and enjoy borrowing rights at the University libraries.

Subject areas of possible study include:

  • chemical engineering
  • civil engineering
  • computer engineering
  • computing and information systems
  • electrical and electronic engineering
  • engineering management
  • environmental engineering
  • geomatics
  • mechanical engineering
  • software engineering

Further information

Information about the single subject study is available from:

Single subject study

Cross-institutional study

(Also known as Complementary Course Studies.)

A cross-institutional course enrolment allows you to enrol in a subject(s) at the University of Melbourne for credit towards a degree you are completing at your home university.

Entry requirements

  • You must be enrolled in a degree course at an Australian University.
  • You must have a strong academic record (65% or greater average).
  • You will have completed at least one full-time semester of study at your home university.
  • You must submit application forms from both the University of Melbourne and from your home university

For more information visit: Cross institutional studies