Do you like to solve problems and stretch your mind?
Do you like to work with your hands and dismantle and fix things?
Are you interested in making the world a better place and solving issues like disease, hunger, renewable energy and climate change?
Then engineering may be the path for you.
What is the Victorian Indigenous Engineering Winter School?
The Victorian Indigenous Engineering Winter School (VIEWS) is an exciting program for Year 11 and 12 Indigenous students that will expand your perspective on engineering. Over six days you will get an insight into what it’s like to study and work in engineering — and it may not be what you think.
You will have the opportunity to learn about the different pathways available to become an engineer and hear first-hand the inspirational stories of Indigenous engineers and engineering students. By the end of the week you will have an appreciation of what an engineer does and how they can impact society and improve the lives of people across the globe.
Who can attend?
VIEWS is open to all Year 11 and 12 Indigenous students who are enrolled in Maths and Science subjects.
This program may be just what you’re looking for if you:
- Enjoy problem solving and finding practical ways to overcome challenges
- Like taking things apart to find out how they work
- Are interested in the latest technologies
- Want to use your skills to help shape the future
What will the Winter School involve?
The program will include:
- Living on campus at the University of Melbourne
- Industry site visits to companies across Melbourne to experience engineering in action
- A day spent at exploring the campuses and engineering study options at four top universities: The University of Melbourne, RMIT University, Swinburne University and Monash University
- Taking part in hands-on workshops that will expand your mind and develop the problem solving and design skills used every day by engineers
- Activities that provide an insight into the global challenges that engineering can address in areas such as climate change, renewable energy, land and resource management, robotics, technology and medicine
When is it?
VIEWS will be taking place 6–13 July 2019.
What does it cost?
There is no cost to attend the Victorian Indigenous Engineering Winter School. All expenses are covered including travel to and from Melbourne, meals and accommodation.
For more information contact:
My experience at VIEWS has helped me decide what I would like to do in the future. It has furthered my knowledge on types of engineering. The Views team also helped with making the trip an enjoyable one that I would recommend to my friends.
Very educational and eye opening! I enjoyed my stay and everyone I met. This opportunity gave me an Insight on the different opportunities and living in Melbourne. Would definitely recommend the program to other indigenous students as I think it’s very beneficial!
My experience at VIEWS was amazing! I was overwhelmed with information and the fact that I was supported hugely throughout the whole visit.
For program sponsorship opportunities please contact:
Indigenous Engagement Coordinator
Phone: +61 3 8344 3208
We thank our 2017 program sponsors — Google, Airmaster, ARUP, SYPAQ, and Honeywell. We also thank Barpa for in kind support.
Privacy and data collection notice
Connect with us
Want to be the first to find out about our events for high school students? Connect with us and let us know which events you’d like to hear about: