A program for female high school students, contributing towards gender parity in engineering and IT disciplines. For girls with an interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Inspire your female students about the exciting possibilities of Engineering and IT through our Girl Power program, including a three-night camp at the University of Melbourne, work experience and mentoring opportunities.
About the program
Stage 1: Year 9 students
Commencing in Year 9, 30 students are selected to participate in the camp during the July term holidays, where they will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about careers in Engineering and IT
- Participate in hands-on interactive workshops
- Interact with University of Melbourne engineering and IT students
- Hear from industry and our academic staff about engineering and IT issues
- Form a network of likeminded individuals
Stage 2: Year 10 students
In the second stage of the program, Year 10 students will have the opportunity to complete the Faculty of Science work experience program and can choose from a range of disciplines including engineering and IT. This week is the final week of term 2. Students applying for Girl Power should check with their schools to see if this date is suitable for their work experience program.
Stage 3: Year 11 & 12 students
The final stage of the program facilitates mentoring opportunities between Year 11 and 12 students, and University of Melbourne engineering and IT students.
The female student camp will run from Sunday 7 July until midday Wednesday 10 July 2019.
- Students will arrive and register on the evening of Sunday 7 July and depart on the afternoon of Wednesday 10 July.
- The program is free of charge and will include 3 nights’ accommodation, all meals and workshops during the camp.
- Accommodation will be at Trinity College, University of Melbourne.
- Dietary requirements will be catered for and students will need to provide this information as part of the application process.
There is a limit of two applications per school and a maximum of 30 students will be selected to participate in the program in 2019. To participate in the subsequent stages of the program, students must have participated in the Girl Power in Engineering and IT camp whilst in year 9.
- All applications need to be submitted online.
- Program is open only to students in Year 9.
- Student applications will be reviewed and short telephone interviews will be conducted for those shortlisted (these can be conducted with a guardian, parent or teacher present with the student).
- Shortlisted candidates will need to supply a letter of support from their School Principal supporting their application.
- Successful applicants will be notified by to be confirmed.
Applications are now closed.
Connect with us
Want to be the first to find out about our events for high school students? Connect with us and let us know which events you’d like to hear about: