The purpose of this project is to facilitate access to data sets for the Melbourne North West corridor and in turn provide researchers, planners, practitioners and policy makers with access to the data via the AURIN portal. Such unprecedented data access will enable world-class research that will be focused toward addressing the key policy issues in the North West region of Melbourne, as identified by the North and West Metropolitan Regional Management Forum. The project is to be conducted through the Centre for Spatial Data Infrastructure and Land Administration (CSDILA) at the University of Melbourne and involves three faculties across the University of Melbourne. The aim of the project is to demonstrate the benefit of providing open access of government datasets to researchers, planners and policy makers in dealing with problems of space, place, and liveability.
The value of the project will be demonstrated through four demonstrator projects which cover four of the most pressing issues facing the North West Melbourne Region they are:
The work program will consist of five major components:
- Source the North West Melbourne Region data sources for inclusion from relevant government stakeholders.
- Check the sourced data to ensure they are fit for purpose.
- Develop data architecture and data service solution.
- Integration of data interrogation tools and services into AURIN Portal and provision of metadata records to Research Data Australia (RDA).
- Undertake four demonstrators to show the utility of the data test bed.
The organisations participating in this project are members of the North and West Metropolitan Regional Management Forum (RMF). Active participants in the development of this proposal are outlined below. It should be noted that the RMF is an extensive network and opportunities for expanding this initial list will be sought through this project.
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Health
- Department of Sustainability and Environment
- Department of Planning and Community Development
- Department of Transport
- Department of Justice
- City of Melbourne
- City of Banyule
- City of Maribyrnong
- Valuer-General Victoria
- The Centre for Spatial Data Infrastructures and Land Administration (The University of Melbourne)
- McCaughey Centre, VicHealth Centre for the Promotion of Mental Health and Wellbeing (The University of Melbourne)
- Faculty of Architecture, Building, and Planning (The University of Melbourne)
- Department of General Practice (The University of Melbourne)
- AURIN (The University of Melbourne)
- Growth Areas Authority